Monday, January 30, 2012

Ice Skating & other NY things

So over the weekend me and my beau went into the city to see and try something new.  Well, new to us really. 
First up was the Wollman Rink, located in Central Park.  http://www.wollmanskatingrink.com/main_wollman.htm

Not as crowded as I thought it would be, and there was no wait and that’s a GOOD thing.  While the only two places I’ve ever fantasized about skating were @ the Wollman Rink and at Rockefeller Center.  Though with Rockefeller Center there’s something about waiting any time more than  20 minutes that totally kills any enthusiasm for my doing it at all.
With the city as the backdrop and it being a bright sunny Sunday afternoon I can’t imagine a better way to spend it.  The weird part was when we stepped onto the ice the skaters were moving clockwise, weird, and halfway through though, they changed direction.  What’s up with that?  No idea, first time I’ve ever seen that happen anywhere, ever. 

To save on the expense, bring your own skates and a lock for yr locker.  Its not a tremendous saving because lets face it, New York is New York. 

Afterwards we went to our second destination.  The New York Historical Society https://www.nyhistory.org/

I have this book on museums in New York and this was one I’d always been meaning to visit, since New York City is one of my favorite places to be.  I’d also recently seen a documentary on James Audubon and in the documentary they mention the museum as housing of his many bird lithographs etc.  This was all a very big tease and disappointment.  They had like 5 of his prints and barely anything I could describe as an EXHIBITION of his work. 
They did have us watch a brief film (18 minutes long) which I found slightly information and definitely entertaining.  Probably something more appealing to tourists. https://www.nyhistory.org/visit/destination-film.  I enjoyed the way it was displayed.  It kept your eyes moving, as 6 screens moved throughout the viewing.
And of course any exhibition regarding New York seems to be obligated to include items of 9-11 etc.  All in all I was glad we went.  How could I call myself a lover of all things New York and not go?

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to review the China Fun Restaurant on 72 st and Columbus as keep on walking by..lol

    ReplyDelete