Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo (A Review)

So a day later I’m finally taking some time to  write about the performance I saw on Sunday afternoon. Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo http://joyce.org/performancestickets/calendar_detail.php?event=341&theater=1.
I was eager to see ballet, and see ballet I did.  The discount ticket I bought for the performance which was labled as “partial view” was anything but that.  I was right up close seeing the facial expressions, the muscular yet lithe bodies of the dancers and even the sweat at the end of the performance.  For $22 I thought I had the best seat in the house.
I hadn’t been to a ballet in over 15 years and I think I was long overdue.  There was so much exquisite beauty and I have such a high regard for the strength and training that goes into each pose, and turn.  I almost found myself crying watching the grace that was before me.
Now Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo was not the most common of ballet performances.  The cast was all male and seemingly all gay.  There was comedy, mostly seeming slapstick interjected into the performance to make it lighter, but at the end of the show I felt it actually detracted from the performance.  There was an extreme amount of talent though.
It did make me thirsty to see more ballet, just more contemporary performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment