Monday, December 6, 2010

I'm hearing wedding bells.......

So one of my closest girlfriends told me the other day that she is engaged.  While not a fan of marital commitments and all their entanglements I was happy for her.  Why?  Because she is my friend and that’s what she wants.  Because I think every woman deserves the joy, (however fleeting) of getting married and having children.
She has always had her eye on the fasttrack to marriage.  She perceives it to be the holy grail to happiness.  As if there was a cash prize once that goal was achieved.  I don’t know.  I do know that I’ve learned in life with all things the joy is in the journey. 
Sometimes when we reach our intended goal, our destination, there is a let down.  The getting married can be the fun part, but the BEING married, that takes work.  There’s a lot of compromise and of course the incurring of monogamy.
She’s asked me to be her maid of honor.  This in itself is a huge honor.  I was grateful she asked me.  I’m worried I’ll admit that.  I want to do right by her but I’m not the most financially solvent friend she has.  But I’ll leave it in God’s hands.
I sort of like the idea that I’ll be in a wedding party for some reason.  Probably because it happening after so many years.  The last wedding I was in was my sister Alison’s and she’s been married for over 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment