Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Getting In the Game!

So this Winter rather than just sitting around in my apartment or merely hitting meetings I’ve decided to be proactive.  A number of friends have shared with me their positive experiences meeting people through Meetup.com.
While the concept almost seems strange “getting together with strangers merely because we share common interests etc”.  Its no more different that talking with people online that I’ve met on Facebook or Myspace or Craigslist, lol.
I’ve joined a number of groups but this weekend I’ve plans to venture to one of the get togethers and see what happens.  Its in the city during the day.  It’s a holiday party to benefit the Children’s Aid Society, which definitely sounds like a worthwhile cause.  http://www.meetup.com/Charitable-Singles/calendar/15577578/
I’ve no idea what to expect but I’m venturing there with an adventurous and social spirit.
The following weekend I managed to buy myself a discounted ticket to see this show
Its part Art part parody and a friend of mine already saw it with a big two thumbs up.
I found out the LIRR has a way of buying a ten packs of off peak tickets for a discount which is good since paying full price blows. 
In sobriety I’ve learned about “seeking Gods’ will” for my life.  Most of the time I know what that means.  In reference to seeking a social life, I’m not always certain what that means.  God doesn’t want me to sit around and wait for invitations.  I think I did that last Winter and lived (and cried) to regret it.
That’s why I’m being proactive and looking for “healthy” things to do.  Tomorrow night I was invited to a work related holiday party and if anything there is free food involved which is always a good thing. 
There is that old say ‘There are plenty of fish in the sea”.  And this time around I guess right now I’m actually IN the ocean seeking them instead of sitting on the sidelines watching them all swim by.

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking the other day if this had been around (or at least I'd known about it!) when I was single, I probably would have done it instead of dating sites. At least then you're mingling and meeting people and maybe making friends. I think it's great. Please post how it went!

    ReplyDelete