Friday, September 3, 2010

A quote I really loved....from "The Film Club" by David Gilmour

So right now I’m reading this book called “The Film Club”. I found it in the discount section. It caught my eye not only because of the low price, but because at the very top it read “A true story about a father who let his son drop out of high school if he agreed to watch three movies a week.” Being a movie person, I was immediately intrigued.



The story is light enough with plenty of good movie information and a compelling story. What I’m enjoying most is the way the author explains the certain envitabilities in life. Particularly the moment when it occurs to you that you are finally OVER someone, a relationship, etc. Here is what he wrote:


“And how, I wondered how I could make Jesse under this, how could I rush him through the next months, even year, to that delicious end point where you wake up one day and instead of feeling her loss (that toothache0, you find yourself, yawning, putting your hands behind your head, and thinking, I must get a copy made of my house key today. I’m playing a rather dangerous games here, having only one key. Goregeously banal, liberating thoughts (Did I lock the downstairs window?), the heat having passed from the burn, the memory of its pain so remote that you can’t quite put your finger on why it went on so long or what the fuss was about, or who did what with their body (but look the neighbors are planting a new birch tree).


As if a chain on an anchor has snapped (and you can’t quite remember where you were or what you were doing), you notice suddenly that your thoughts are you own possession again, your bed no longer empty but simply yours, yours in which to read the newspaper or sleep or…dear me, what was it I was supposed to do today? Ah, the front door key! Yes.”


All of what he quote I found simply brilliant. It’s the reckoning that you are over Him…Her…whoever. Not because you found someone better but because when the gas runs out, all that’s left over is YOU. And I’m so very completely okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment