Thursday, February 9, 2012

Midnight in Paris - a DVD review

So last night I watched one of this year's academy nominated films: Midnight in Paris.  A Woody Allen written and directed film.  While not the biggest of Woody Allen movie goers, I do enjoy majority of his films.  Hell, I even saw “Match Point” IN the theatre.  As anyone knows he made that while in England trying to recuperate his reputation after his scandalous actions tarnished his good standing.
Anyhew, starring Owen Wilson, who was obviously played the part Woody would have had he made this film 30 years ago.  I always look for that in his films.  It’s always interesting to see his choice of actor that he chooses, I feel, to act in his stead.
Owen Wilson plays, Gil, a man on vacation in Paris with his fiancée and her parents.  A screenwriter by trade, Gil is now working on writing a novel during the trip.
After Gil and his fiancée run into another couple, they begin spending all their time together.  Gil becomes aggravated and makes excuse at night to go walking the streets of Paris by himself.
After getting lost he takes a seat and at the stroke of midnight climbs into a cab that takes him into his ideal of The Golden Age: Paris in the 20s.
At this point my son turns to me and says “is this a movie about time-traveling?”  I had to consider that for a second.  I couldn’t imagine Woody going down that road, I mean what’s next, aliens?
Anyhew originally I saw this movie with not a clue of the storyline and while it isn’t his best film, I found it entertaining and provocative.  It’s a good rental.  My favorite parts were his conversations with Hemingway.

No comments:

Post a Comment