Friday, December 9, 2011

A Year Without a Santa Claus - a Christmas memory

So my life wasn’t always as drama free as it is now, that’s one of the blessings following God had provided me.  Back when I was ten years old, daily chaos was always a constant.  Back then my Dad has already left us, and my mom was an active alcoholic and she was usually either “away” or “missing”.  My older sisters always picked up the slack.  Being the youngest of seven I always depended on my brothers and sisters to look after me.  And they did.

On Christmas that year we had little to no money.  My sister Sue managed to get money for a tree and all of us went out together to get it.  Me and my brother Bobby were looking around for boxed ornaments in a discount store of some kind.  He starts stacking boxes of ornaments onto my arms.  Next thing I knew he was telling me “Everyone is leaving, lets go”.  He starts pushing me from behind, but not towards the register, he is pushing me TOWARDS THE DOOR. 

Its then that I realize we aren’t paying for these ornaments we are stealing them.   Yep the old 'five fingered discount'.  This was nothing new to me.  Once I realized what the story was I ran out with him and ran for the next few blocks as to not get caught.

That year we had a decent Christmas tree but no gifts to open.  I don’t remember how I felt about that.  Looking back on it in some ways makes me feel shitty and gyped.  I know I liked the tree and was accustomed to having little in way of extras back then.  I had my brothers and sisters and I know that part was really important.

I know God has given me a world of blessings since then and I pray I will never take for granted all the blessings he has given me.

I remember that Christmas and hope that in helping with this toy drive no child will have to have a Christmas like that.   I hope you've read my story and are inspired enough to make a donation to the toy drive I'm collecting.  Please know that everything you've read is indeed TRUE, and I do believe God wanted me to use this experience to benefit others.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/268485626533193/

No comments:

Post a Comment