Friday, February 8, 2013

NYC BALLET & FAILE - a day in the city

And so.............
           last weekend I had the opportunity to do something I've always wanted to do.  See Ballet in NYC.  Back in December my man took me to see the Nutcracker.........on Long Island.  I love my man and I love watching dance performances but it didn't feel like it was the real ballet experience that I'd hoped for.

Given my man had his quota of ballet, if I wanted more, it looked as if I'd go it alone.  And so I did.
I've gotten over my fear of doing things alone back when I was married and my ex made more excuses than I wanted to hear.
Anyhew, I found a performance (and reasonably priced ticket ) at The New York City Ballet in Lincoln Center.   
(cut and paste the link into your browser)
 
http://www.nycballet.com 
My favorite piece was the Vienna Waltzes.  Such beauty and grace I thought I'd cry.  If you want abit of it feel free to watch

. (cut and paste the link into your browser).
http://youtu.be/s7WC9W3Jhsc  
 
 I especially enjoyed the live muuuuuuuusic.  Something that was missing from the Nutcracker performance.  As I sat in the theatre, the lights down low, I could hear the musicians fine tuning their instruments and all I could feel was glee.  How often I've taken for granted the ability to hear music.  

To experience the talent and skill that is transported from one human being to another.  They painstakingly learn and then rehearse until this one moment.  These musicians are the backdrop for the dance performance.  They set the stage and transfix the room by engaging and heightening our senses. 

I can still hear the violins in my head.

Also while at Lincoln Center I was able to see some artwork I'd been coveting for the last month.  The work of FAILE.

I learned about their work through the NYC Ballet website where the artwork of FAILE (which is an anagram for A LIFE) which is what the company was originally named until they learned the name was already taken.

They are very pop art-ish.  Think Litchenstein, think Frank Miller.  Gritty, urban, provocative, and fun!  They do alot of installation work and brought it to Lincoln Center to promote the New York City Ballet.

 

Awesome!  I love this (and want one in my house).  Here's the installation tower.



That tower is over 4 stories high.  Originally the outside of it was covered in mini blocks and the ticket buyers of the performance they used to promote the theatre were priviledged enough to take home one square apiece.  They advertised it as "the performance you take home with you."

Here's the interview.  It was worth watching.  

http://youtu.be/1gba3Nh_Ef8
 (cut and paste into browser).

And of course the best part.  It was all in NYC.

  
 And how can you beat that?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment