Sunday, September 2, 2012

IL VAGABONDO - a NYC restaurant review



 il vagabondo
 
Earlier this summer my man was teaching me how to play Bocci.  It’s a huge game his extended family enjoys playing.  While at a barbeque a friend told me of a restaurant in NYC that has a Bocci court IN the restaurant.  She couldn’t recall the name, but nonetheless I was intrigued.

 After a quick search on the internet I discovered the name and venue that is  Il Vagabondo.  http://www.ilvagabondo.com/

And on Sunday of Labor Day weekend it seemed a good a time as any to trek in and see how it faired.  The unassuming location of 27th Street between 1st & 2nd Avenue lends a venue a less than commercial appeal.   I happen to think is a good thing.   

 
While some others enjoy crowds I like finding a quiet gem in the rough.

We arrived just it was opening this evening.  The entrance revealed a bar with an understated atmosphere with a few photographs featuring bocci balls in all different types of scenarios.  We were lead up through an open kitchen area to our table.  While the restaurant had three dining rooms tonight one this one were patrons seated into.

As our appetizers, we ordered Baked Stuffed Mushrooms filling includes prosciutto.  We also ordered Tomato & Mozzarella with fresh basil.  The stuffed mushrooms were very tasty, I could have eaten more of them.

For dinner my beau ordered something called Veal Vagabondo which is veal in a brown wine sauce with prosciutto and cheese.  The veal was tender and moist although I thought the portion was rather small.  

I ordered a fettucine dish that was on the specials of the day BUT when my food arrived it was NOT the fettucine.  Instead they brought me meat lasagna, sausage lasagna to be exact.   Okay, so on the one hand they made an error.  The error being they put Saturday’s special on Sunday’s menu.  So the chef just gave me the pasta special for Sunday which was lasagna.  It was a delightful error.  Abit heavy but delicious. 

Management was falling all over us with apologies and honestly I wasn’t that offended at the situation since the food WAS good and I could see they were earnestly apologetic.
Management made up for this error by giving us complimentary coffee and dessert.  I had cheesecake and my beau had Mississippi mud cake.  Yep I’ll take that ; )

So onto Bocci.  In the first empty room there is a bocci “pit”.  You open the gate and step down onto the court.  For insurance purposes you do not use a belini but instead of use a large metal washer because they worry about balls flying at the nearby diners.


 It was a nice way to end the evening.  We played a short game (which was free by the way) and said our goodbyes.  My man kicked my ass at that game but what else is new?

Not the best Italian food I’ve had by far, BUT it was a nice unique experience.




No comments:

Post a Comment