Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Think Like A Man - A Movie Review


 So this afternoon I took myself to the movies.  The movie for today was “Think Like A Man” a story that illustrates the Steve Harvey book of the same name. 

They’ve got the playbook.  The story of how five women discover Steve Harvey’s book and use it as a How To remedy to make new relationships happen and old relationship work.

It’s a mainly ,black ensemble cast romantic comedy that follows the stories of five couples, all the while referring back to chapters in Steve Harvey’s book.

I agree with other reviews which stated ‘It ran like an extended commercial for the book”.  Having said that I do enjoy a dopey romantic comedy once in a while and it DID make me laugh.  The film had some beautiful black men (see Michael Ealy) and even the return of Morris Chestnut which I was surprised as I had not seen him since Two Can Play at That Game. 

It’s a fun movie, but if you’re strapped for cash you can wait for DVD or pick up a bootleg of it. 

SIDENOTE:  I actually MET Steve Harvey.  About two years ago I traveled by flight to Detroit and he was sitting in first class on the same flight as me.  I saw him  and his entourage afterwards at the baggage carousel.  I wasn’t sure if it was him, so I double-checked by asking the skycap,  It was him and I went over and his got his autograph since I do listen to his morning show on WBLS from time to time.

1 comment:

  1. Ideally, having a looser structure based around life lessons (of a sort) would allow the self-help rom-com to slip out of the boy-meets-girl, loses-girl, gets-girl grind, but here it just serves to multiply the predictability. The movie lines up a pretty good cast and, when it can gain some real momentum away from Harvey’s book, it can be a fairly decent, if still underwhelming, picture. But that doesn’t happen often enough. Good review Jude.

    ReplyDelete