Friday, April 27, 2012

The Raven - a film review



So, this afternoon I took myself to the movies.  The film I saw was THE RAVEN starring John Cusack (High Fidelity) as author and poet, Edgar Allan Poe. 

This was essentially a Sherlock Holmes-esque film where life imitated art: a serial killer’s acts mirror those of Poe’s stories.  Taking place in 19th Century Baltimore, Maryland, Poe is called in as a consultant on the murders, him being so thoroughly familiar with the stories and all.

It was unusual seeing John Cusack playing this type of role.  He is usually the self-deprecating underdog and in this role he is conceited, arrogant and abit of a drunk.

It kept me guessing til the end, whodunit, that is.  Better than I had expected. I give it three stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment