Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Night in NYC & 2 reviews

So me and Bonnie ventured into NYC quite recently.  Tentative plans were to meet at Penn Station and take the subway to a bar in the village name Zinc.  There was an over 40’s event I’d discovered through Meetup.com.  They were hosting a very politically incorrect comedy show called “A Black and a Jew”.  It sounded intriguing and it was cheap.
We get there thirty minutes early only to be shut out.  Poor planning had the host overbooking without notification.  I was not pleased.  Without a Plan B me and Bonnie were out in the cold without knowing what to do next.
From now on my motto is “Always have a Plan B”.  Bonnie alerted me that she was ‘in the mood for food’ and after hearing that I decided I was too.  We walked street after street trying to discover just the right spot.  What we found was Quantum Leap in the West Village. http://www.quantumleaprestaurant.com/FoodDelivery/RestaurantLocations.m
It was a small room but quite full.  There was a subtle understated atmosphere that was both welcoming and chic.  We found a corner table and caught up on girl talk.  I dined on a black bean burger with toppings of mushrooms and such.  It was served with a side salad with a yummy ginger dressing and sweet potato fries.  Excellent choice.  Dinner under $20 and very satisfying.
We decided to find dessert at another location.  We wandered down a few blocks poking our noses into shop.  One specialized in chess.  We chatted with a foreign bald headed host.  He was informative and charming.
With many Hookah (snicker) shops lining the street it seemed there were just as many which held items to enhance spiritual wealth as well.  Bonnie chatted with one of the clerks who shower her “the singing bowls” one after another after another.
I was upfront mentally trying to talk myself out of buying anything.  You see often I have this delusion when in NYC that I have more money in my bank accounts than I actually ever do.  I also find myself mentally arguing that I’ll never find the gem of an item I am trying to talk myself out of, anywhere else.
Eventually we wandered down the street and found Rocco’s bakery at 243 Bleeker Street http://pasticceriarocco.com/
As the door opened we were enveloped with the welcoming warmth beckoning us from the cold.  Behind its endless glass counters were the countless delights tempting us both.  I had the cheesecake with strawberry topping and Bonnie had some big chocolate cake thingee.  Looking back we should have split something.   And after that dessert the only thing I thought I’d split was my pants.  Well worth finding though.

2 comments:

  1. How do you like meetup.com? I found out about it after I met my husband, but I would have loved something like that when I was single and looking to meet people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it horrible and unworthy of my attention these days.

    ReplyDelete