Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Buglisi Dance Theatre - a Review

So Sunday I went to see the performance of http://www.buglisidance.org/  The First performance was entitled ‘Requim”.  In a 20 minute performance, the curtain opened to reveal five female dancers rising up from the ground, backs facing the audience.  The gowns they wore seemed shredded, their backs exposed.  I was close enough to witness the cut but sinewy muscle that flexed with every small motion.  Unlike anything I’ve seen before, the dancers ranged from the young beginners to the seasoned, and older, veteran.  The seemed to express emotions of being tortured and torn.
The second performance was entitled “Letters of Love on Ripped Paper.”  This 40 minute dance piece displayed difference styles of dance all the while love letters were narrated over music.  It seemed fitting that I saw this performance given that Valentine’s Day was earlier in the week.  The thing I found most odd was the fact that the dancers danced barefoot.  The choreography was inspired by Martha Graham.  A most unusual style using the upper torso as the primary vehicle of expression.

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to go see something like that. I'd have to find a friend or two, though, because I don't think the hubby would be able to tolerate it for long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its okay to do things ON YOUR OWN. Of course it may not be your first choice but think of all that you miss by waiting for someone to accompany you?

    ReplyDelete