Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A day trip to NYC - Memorial Day Weekend

So for Memorial Day weekend I wanted to get myself outside and eventually into NYC.  I had a few things in mind.
Me and a friend took the train bright and early into Penn Station.  From the we jumped onto the subway and headed uptown to Central Park.  Got off on 86th Street and smack dap into some type of fair.  It was hot as blazes out.  We did abit of browsing by the jewelry vendors while listening to a small jazz trio nearby.
Before losing my nerve, and energy, we headed toward the park and onto one of the best places rollerbladers can go.   We started in the uppers 80’s on the West Side and went around some of the park.  I don’t think all of it.  We circled around which brought up to the East Side and once around again.  We exited on the East Side in the 50’s in search of food and culture. 
During our skate, the hills, were very scary.  From previous times there I worried I might fall, pushing my thighs to the limit to slow down and getting a good workout from it.
After that my friend indulged me by walking way too long to our eating destination.  During our walk we discovered the Will Ryman Rose Sculpture Exhibition that ends soon.  http://www.examiner.com/culture-in-new-york/will-ryman-s-rose-sculptures-brighten-park-avenue-through-may-slideshow
Finally we arrived at our destination after walking some 2 miles @ Big Daddy’s.   A fun place me and my sister used to go to.  http://www.bigdaddysnyc.com/locations-upper-west-side.php
Its chock full of pop culture unassuming and fun.  It changed though, the whole eatery was much larger now and without the second story loft the original store had.  My only pet peeve was the menu selections were pared down to a minimum.  I wanted to walk out, if not for my companion, I would have.
Originally I wanted to check out the Alexander McQueen Exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/mets-mcqueen-exhibit-extended-2291190.html.  But by the time we were done eating it was after 4:00 and on Sunday’s the museum closes @ 5, so that’s a different adventure for another time.
After we ate we walked another (almost) 50 city blocks in the sweltering heat, knowing for sure my legs and feet were truly getting a workout that bordered on cruel. 
After a short wait accompanied by a large vanilla frozen yogurt we were back on the train and heading for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment